Why Mold Is Important in Understanding the “Body Burden”

The Toxic Load (sometimes called the “Body Burden”) is the accumulated amount of toxins affecting your bodily systems at any given time. Toxins are significant stressors to the immune system, as well as all of your other bodily systems, and even your mental state.  Every day we are bombarded with thousands of toxins.  We breathe and inhale them, eat them, and can absorb them through the skin.

Toxins come from many sources in our industrialized world.  There are 80,000 chemicals known to the EPA and just a fraction of them have been studied to know the toxic effects.  Regardless, known and unknown toxins are utilized in the production process in building materials, paints and finishes, flame retardants used on furnishings, household cleaners, personal products, air fresheners, candles, air pollutants, and even medicines and food products. The list is overwhelming. Pesticides and pollutants can contaminate the foods we eat and the water we drink, cook with, and bathe. But, our bodies can metabolize only a fixed amount of toxins in our lives.  Toxic mold overexposure is the most likely and prevalent cause of having an immediate, catastrophic overexposure leading to reaching a person’s toxic load in slow or immediate fashion .   What happens then?

Our Bodies and Toxins

Our body has natural abilities to metabolize and excrete toxins from our bodies.  When we are exposed to toxins, our livers and kidneys are somewhat effective in metabolizing them and   removing them via our digestive, excretion, and perspiration systems.

However, if the amount of toxins we are exposed to exceeds our bodies ability to rid itself from them, they can be stored in fat and tissues in our bodies. This is particularly important for those of us that carry little or significant excess fat.

When we lose weight, these toxins are re-released into our bodies where they will continue to be circulated, absorbed, metabolized and excreted. In the event toxins reach organs or even the brain by penetrating the blood brain barrier, devastating disorders, including neurological and cognitive problems can result.

The “Body Burden”

Consider a bucket being filled with water.  Once it is full, water spills over the side and can go anywhere.  Our bodies ability to metabolize toxins operates in a similar fashion. When a person is exposed to toxins from a variety of sources over time, our buckets fill until it cannot remove additional toxins.  That is the Body Burden or Toxic Load.   Our Bodies can metabolize a fixed amount of toxins over our lifetimes. It can be reached slowly over time or by a significant, over exposure to any toxin. A person can reach their lifetime limit in just an instant moment.

Not everyone is exposed to hazardous toxins in their lives.  Those who are exposed due to work are trained in taking necessary safety precautions and workplace environments are regulated to manage the risk.  On rare occasions, when a worker may be exposed to a specific hazard, medical treatment and protocol are followed specific industries and the medical community that serves them.

However, many of the environments we all are live in contain toxic chemicals and pollutants that we will likely absorb in some manner over time.   The air we breathe outdoors can be polluted.  Chlorine and fluoride are present in our drinking waters. Some heavy metals are essential nutrients (typically iron, cobalt, and zinc.  Others, such as cadmium, mercury, and lead, are highly poisonous.

Pesticides are used in landscaping and farming of most out foods. New construction is built with materials that are treated with flame retardants, adhesives, and other processes that involve toxic chemicals. Paints can have Volitile Organic Compounds (“VOCs”). New home furnishings, paints, and carpets often off-gas chemicals for a period of time.

The critical message here is that once you reach the burden, your body becomes ultra-sensitive to many environmental elements.  Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (“MCS”) can make almost any environment toxic to someone who has reached their Body Burden or Toxic Load.  After reaching our body’s burden, regular household and personal products used become extremely toxic, even in miniscule amounts. Our very sensitive olfactory nerves in our nose becomes very sensitive causing difficult and debilitating for persons who may not have been vulnerable to before.

Why is Mold Exposure Critical To “Toxic Load Discussion”?

Mold, albeit an antigen or pathogen, also triggers an immune response which is different than the histamine response produced by most allergens.  In those cases, antihistamines and steroids may be prescribed and effective.  This inflammatory response exacerbates debilitating conditions.To make matters worse, many common species of mold release potent mycotoxins (poisonous chemicals) that can impact the body when exposed slowly over time or severely when they reach the many organs in the body, including the brain.

  • Mold and their mycotoxins make up a very small portion of the possible toxic elements to our bodies. However, there are two common elements that are ubiquitous across all of our homes.  When humidity or moisture, due to a common roof or plumbing leak, humid weather, poor water management meet any organic material (including dust, fabric, wallpaper, wood, and carpet), these materials help mold thrive providing food for mold healthy and growing.  Mold can reproduce at alarming rates and proliferate through our homes to dangerous levels.  Any disruption can release billions of microscopic mold spores into the air we breathe.  Mold most often is inhaled and can also reproduce rapidly in our bodies.  Mold mycotoxins can be inhaled into our sinuses where they are microns away from our brains. Mold is likely the greatest threat to any normal person in a normal environment to reaching their toxic load immediately and suffer from the debilitating ultra-sensitivity that can handicap a person’s ability to enjoy life.

Exposure Possibilities

Any Mold infestation where you can visually see it or smell it is a likely very dangerous situation for even healthy inhabitants.  If it is a minor infestation, Any DIY person can take safety precautions like a N95 face mask and gloves and follow clear directions can remediate it themselves.  Larger infestations that penetrate walls or large areas or water damaged homes are severe health hazards.These should be remediated by a professional.  Also, musty, damp and basements or crawlspaces can have an overwhelming amount of mold.  Without professional containment, and removal from the products can disrupt the mold releasing spores and toxins into the air and distribute the mold throughout the home through the HVAC.  Simply living in such an environment can lead to reaching your toxic load and a lifetime of debilitating sensitivities when exposed to minimal amounts of mold or chemicals.

When you are living in a home with toxic mold, regardless of whether it is a during a repair or while you have little control of the moldy situation, home, or apartment you are stuck in.  You can do the following:

  • Cold fogging with the Sani+Tizer Fogger and Mold Solution will keep easily keep the mold counts low while awaiting repairs or simply maintaining a mold safe home.
  • You can also use EC3 mold spray on virtually any time. It is less efficient and time consuming; however, it works.
  • Burning EC3 air purification candles in your immediate environment will eliminate mold and mycotoxin counts in the areas you relax or work in.

Other Factors to Consider

Modern Medicine Limitations

When we go to the physician when we are sick, we are diagnosed based on our symptoms and treated with medicines.  The medicines themselves could also be toxic.  Where we are particularly vulnerable is that many symptoms of toxicities are similar to many chronic illnesses. These symptoms can steer us to many physician specialties and to try many medicines. Most general practice physicians and practitioners see numerous patients each hour; and there is little time to investigate every patient’s individual exposure to toxins in their environments.  Unfortunately, most of the burden to recognize toxins in our environment and food fall on us, the patients.  The only way to address this is to educate ourselves and seek physicians or other health care professionals that diagnose and treat environmental illness.

The Modern Diet

 Over the past several decades, the industrialization of the food industries have introduced toxins in exceedingly high amounts to our diets. You can read more about gut health in an earlier published article here. https://sinusitiswellness.com/gut-health-is-critical-to-your-overall-wellbeing/.

Easing the Toxic Burden at Home

  • Eat Organic. Non-organic foods expose you to pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, artificial flavors and sweeteners
  • Avoid fish that are high in mercury.
  • Decrease your intake of sugars and other carbohydrates. These foods feed fungus and lead to fungal overgrowth in the body.
  • Switch to green or all-natural cleaning products. Avoid bleach and ammonia.
  • Hydrate well with filtered water. Water helps to dilute and flush out toxins
  • Improve the quality of your air. Invest in an air purifier
  • Try to use glass instead of plastic containers with BPA
  • Choose natural, organic personal products
  • Carpet are notorious for releasing toxic fumes and chemicals and collecting mold carpeting with natural fiber wool or cotton rugs on hardwood floors or ceramic tiles.
  • Service your HVAC regularly replacing HEPA filters regularly
  • Consider seeing a physician that treats environmental illness when suffering from a mysterious illness your physicians have trouble diagnosing

Please feel free comment below.