How Our Bodies Deal with Mold and Mycotoxins
By Cesar Collado
Detoxification of our bodies is an essential process for us to experience wellness. Chronic inflammation leads to debilitating symptoms and interrupts our body’s capabilities to detoxify. When inflammation goes up, detoxification goes down.
Detoxification is an ongoing physical process in our bodies and not a single event! I often listen to people planning a detoxification “program” or complaining about what they will have to sacrifice to complete a detoxification program. In these cases, many are referring to a crash diet with less tasteful foods. When I Google “Detoxification,” search engine results focus on diets or nutraceutical-based programs. The resulting “diets and cleanses” narrowly address detoxification with nothing efficacious when it comes to mold and mycotoxins.
I believe some of this misunderstanding is the mainstream use of the words “Detoxification” and “Detox.” These terms are many times meant for substance abuse, where removal of a substance from the body is a specific event. For substance abuse, detoxification is defined as “medical treatment of an alcoholic or drug addict involving abstention from drink or drugs until the bloodstream is free of toxins.”This usually requires inpatient treatment, medical monitoring, and medications to slowly wean the body of a toxic substance. In some cases, detoxification without medical assistance can kill someone.
I often read through the top of search engine results or advertisements to encounter articles about fad diets or supplements that make several broad claims for detoxification. Examples include 3/7/10/30 day “detox” or “cleanse diets,” and supplements designed to target specific organs or weight-loss. Vitamin and nutritional e-commerce stores advertise supplements with brands beginning with “Mega,” “Ultra,” “Super” detox or cleanse in their titles. All of them represent themselves to be “the detox answer” for our health woes. There is also an “unlimited” number of supplements available that suggest that they are THE “solution.” Utilizing these supplements can be both costly, dangerous, and inefficacious if not used as part of a broader prescribed approach to address the whole body and all the elements to make this daily, process successful.
What Exactly is Detoxification?
Detoxification is a process that works in our bodies 24/7. Basically, detoxification is the ongoing cleansing of the blood and the body’s organ systems. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. However, when these systems are compromised or overwhelmed with toxins, impurities aren’t properly filtered; and the body is adversely affected.
Addressing the entire body and the systems it employs is a process that involves both diet and nutrition, supplements that are specific for individual needs and deficiencies, adequate sleep and rest, stress reduction, clean air, food, and water. When the body cannot process toxins immediately, they are stored in fat, liver, bone marrow, joints, tissues, blood, and muscles. Then the bodies metabolism changes and these toxins stay in the body and are recirculated, rather than eliminated, leading to chronic symptoms.
Mold exposure by inhalation or ingestion triggers an inflammatory response in our bodies. Inflammation is a defense mechanism in the body. The immune system recognizes damaged cells, irritants, and pathogens, and it begins the healing process by becoming inflamed. However, sometimes, inflammation can persist longer than necessary, causing more harm than benefit. Chronic inflammation is also recognized by persistent, low-grade inflammation because it produces a steady, low-level of inflammation throughout the body, and is determined by a rise in immune system markers found in blood or tissue. This type of systemic inflammation can contribute to the development of disease. Chronic inflammation has been linked to heart disease, stroke, autoimmune diseases, gut diseases, cancer, neurological disease, and hormonal disruption, all of which can cause chronic fatigue. In fact, inflammation is a common component for many diseases of exclusion such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, cognitive disorders, insomnia, and chronic pain.
What We Can Do to Help our Bodies with Detoxification and Inflammation
The human body possesses an enormous, astonishing, and persistent capacity to heal itself. Disease generally occurs when we abuse our bodies or deprive them of basic requirements to keep us healthy over extended periods. The healing process is not just for injuries. It also takes care of normal, everyday wear and tear. Damaged, destroyed or dead cells are replaced in great numbers daily from our skin, mouth, intestines, and blood. It is important that detoxification of our bodies is gradual and continual for mold illness patients. Overdoing it can force our bodies to dump toxins too quickly and too soon (especially because we are talking mycotoxins) that they can do more harm than good and get VERY sick. Since our bodies actually store toxins in fats, tissues, etc., gradual removal is mainly for safety reasons. Mobilizing too many toxins into the bloodstream can be catastrophic without liver and adrenal support and the appropriately prescribed binders to remove the toxins via the GI tract. As important, mold patients should not get aggressive with detoxification until they are out of the exposure. Otherwise, it is a wasteful effort.
In order to optimize our body’s ability to heal and detoxify, the following steps are recommended:
- Eat a healthy, whole food diet, rich in vegetables, good fats, and lean proteins. Nutrition is not a diet, it is what is necessary for wellness throughout our lives;
- Eliminate alcohol, caffeine, cigarettes, refined sugars, and excess saturated fats, all of which act as toxins in the body and are obstacles to healing and detoxification; Since toxins are stored in fat, the body requires sufficient fat to release toxins effectively;
- Avoid exposure to chemical-based household cleaners and personal hygiene products (cleansers, shampoos, deodorants);
- Be active and exercise consistently—it is scientifically proven that the body responds to exercise with increased vibrancy, cellular energy, detoxification, and system efficiency;
- Allow for adequate sleep—sleep is the body’s chance to recover and repair itself;
- Employ an antifungal (anti-inflammatory) diet, if you know mold or yeast overgrowth is a problem;
- Mitigate stress–stress makes the body release stress hormones, which hinder cellular repair and promote inflammation.
When to Seek Medical Help to Aid with Inflammation and Detoxification
When toxic substances reach levels that cause debilitating symptoms, identifying a medical provider that treats Environmental Illness is critical. Because the symptoms of environmental illness have similar profiles as many other chronic diseases, diagnosing mold and toxic poisoning is challenging and requires specific attention, not only to symptoms but also to lifestyle and environment. Medical providers that treat Environmental Illness, such as Integrative Medicine Doctors and some Medical Doctors, use distinct diagnostics, protocols, treatment modalities, and supplementation to aid our bodies in processing and removing toxins. Physician prescribed supplements are a critical component in addressing your body’s specific requirements. An anti-inflammatory diet is also essential. You can find these specialized providers by searching online specifically under “Environmental Illness practitioners” in your city.
Address the Air Quality in Your Home
- The quality of the AIR you breathe in is 2 TIMES MORE IMPORTANT than your genetic code to your health.
- The quality of the AIR you breathe in is 5 TIMES MORE IMPORTANT than all the treatment rendered by hospitals, doctors and medications for positive health outcomes.
Tips to Address Indoor Air Quality and Mold in Your Home
- Identify any moisture sources in your home and have them fixed.
- Determine whether you have mold in your home with EC3 Mold Screening Test Kits.
- Rinse your nose daily (2-3x/day) with a nasal rinse system and saline with CitriDrops Dietary Supplement. This is the most effective way to remove the mold spores that are specifically making you sick
- Fog, clean, or treat surfaces in your home with EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate.
- Wash clothes and linens with EC3 Laundry Additive to remove mold that you carry with you or sleep with.
- Us a HEPA air purification unit in rooms where you spend the most time.
- Use EC3 Air Purification Candles to remove mold and mycotoxins from your immediate air. They are also great when traveling and staying in hotels.
- Use Sinus Defense to enable your innate immune system to safeguard you against mold allergen threats. Stop the inflammation before it starts.
- Use CellTropinto support pituitary healing and to address hormonal systems that may be compromised by inflammation. Doing so will help to combat chronic fatigue and adrenal fatigue.
By understanding the role of detoxification in the regulation of inflammation and the importance of helping the body to detoxify continually, you can help your body to perform optimally and begin feeling well again.