Understanding Candida, the Gut and much more!
There are several items that increase Candida in the gut:
- – immune deficiency,
- – Antibiotics,
- – heavy metals,
- – low thyroid hormone (including a free T3 that is in the lower 20% of normal !),
- – Chlorine in tap water,
- – sugar, and
- – one of the most important, Airborne mold
The Thyroid hormone controls the rate at which oxygen & iodine circulate through each cell. Both oxygen and iodine have antimicrobial properties, therefore it is a good thing to have a good flow of each through each cell. In patients with Candida, we find the optimum flow rate that decreases Candida in the gut is a free T3 blood level of 3.7-4.2 with normal lab values being 2.0-4.4. In patients who have chronic gut Candida, whenever antibiotics are taken, they should take anti-Candida protection such as nystatin and a strong probiotic like Ortho Biotic or VSL#3 [take 2 caps/ 2 times per day during and 2 weeks after antibiotics]. One of the best gut health regimens is VSL#3 or Ortho Biotic 1-2, 2 times per day plus Bubbies Sauerkraut (Whole Foods), a small serving 3-4 days per week with meals. This provides the healthy soil organisms that are anaerobes ( living in low or no oxygen). Studies have shown people with these organisms in their gut are generally more healthy with less illness.
The single most important item for sinus and systemic health is to get the mold counts in the air you breathe down to below 4 colonies per 1 hour mold plate exposure (for a score of ‘slight’ on the evaluation questionnaire) . Some sicker patients need their counts in the 0-2 ranges for health improvements to occur ( a score of ‘moderate’ to ‘severe’ on the sinus evaluation questionnaire.
Candida Treatment consists of:
- Stopping the Fungus/Yeast/Candida overgrowth. Stop feeding them. (See diet guidelines )
- Replace the Fungus/Yeast/Candida with natural healthy gut bacteria (normal flora). Take Probiotics! The healthy bacteria will kill the yeast by competing for food as well as help your immune system by re-colonizing you digestive tract with normal bacterial flora. Normal bacteria are present in Acidophilus pills, Lactinex pills, Essential Flora, Ortho-Biotics, VSL#3 (VSL is the most powerful gut bacterial flora product of all), Lactobacillus, and Bulgaricus, (which also neutralizes stomach acid). Other sources of the good bacteria are plain yogurt, and buttermilk also contain normal good bacteria. The goal is 50 billion colonies twice a day. Probiotics are good for you daily for the rest of your life to maintain the proper balance of flora in your gut to have wellness.
- Kill the yeast with anti-yeast medications (examples: Diflucan, Nystatin, Oregobiotics). These products will help increase the alkaline levels of your body which makes it difficult for Candida to flourish. Note that once you get rid of yeast, if you start feeding them again by getting off of the diet, they WILL return.
- Do not drink or use tap water. It has too much chlorine in it and that will kill the normal gut flora, which will then allow yeast to over grow. This includes coffee and tea made from tap water at work and in restaurants. Use bottled water when eating out. Do not use tap water for cooking. Boiling water DOES NOT remove chlorine. The filters you get for the faucet, Pur or Brita, are fine to use to get your cooking water from but not for drinking. Use a pool chlorine test kit to be sure that your tap water filter is removing chlorine. Chlorine kills off the good bacteria and allows yeast to over populate again. A small amount of chlorine will cause yeast overgrowth and defeat all other treatment.
- No beer or wine. It is best to have no alcohol in any form during the recovery period. (They are usually loaded with refined sugar) Once your system is balanced and the Candida under control, an occasional vodka drink is acceptable (not the sugary, flavored ones though!).
- No Grains. Maintain a gluten-free diet. For some patients this is only during the recovery phase. For others who test positive for gluten allergy or are ALCAT confirmed gluten sensitive, it is life long. This means all breads, most pasta, oatmeal, barley, etc.
Candida effects can vary widely and different people have different reactions, particularly when the Candida begins to die off. Depending on the severity of your overgrowth it can take any where from 8 to 16 months torid your self of Candida. Again, like chronic sinusitis finding relief from Candida is a process that has several components. THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL. You have to take control of your body and your environment and your diet…
Many sinusitis patients have both Candida/fungus AND food allergies, each of which cause gut inflammation:
1. Candida gut inflammation causes many food allergies.
2. Food allergies cause more gut inflammation which makes the Candida inflammation worse
3. A vicious cycle develops. The Candida makes the food allergy worse and the food allergy makes the Candida worse.
When you remove BOTH ANTIGENS (food allergies & Candida from the gut) that are causing inflammation, you get stellar results. With mold/fungal exposure, all patients have food allergies greater than normal because the Candida, food allergies, and elevated mold/fungal air levels cause both gut and systemic inflammation.
Candida and molds are fungi. Candida, molds, and food allergies all cause an allergic response. The patients with these sensitivities/allergies develop intestinal and mucosal edema (swelling), slowing their food transit time and allowing greater absorption of calories and retention of fluid.