I heard from a woman in California who had purchased an expensive antique rug for her home. She is a chronic sinusitis sufferer that has several mild bouts a year, but when she put the rug in her home she became very ill. Her symptoms became increasingly worse the longer the rug was in the house.
Has this ever happened to you? Have you gotten a used couch or other furnishing item that made you suddenly feel sick? You may have asked the same question this woman asked Micro Balance Health Products, “Can a rug cause sinusitis?”
The answer is yes, because rugs, carpets, couches, and even drapes have fibers that are a perfect fuel for household mold. If they are stored in an area that has humidity above 50% and has mold spores present, the spores will settle on the material and begin to proliferate. As mold grows it releases new spores into the air that will cause an immune reaction that triggers your sinusitis.
You may also be asking, “What if I have the item professionally cleaned? Won’t that take care of my mold and sinusitis problem?” Most likely it will not. Professional cleaning products are designed to remove stains and odors. They work by breaking down the proteins that are causing the problem. These products are not designed to kill living organisms like fungi. That takes a special type of cleaner like EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate, which has an acidic content that is hostile to mold and bacteria.
The woman in California also wondered what the best course of action to take with the rug. Many times you are better off just getting rid of the item that is causing the problem, because it has become so saturated with mold it will be very difficult to clean thoroughly. When that is not feasible for practical or sentimental reasons you can carefully clean soft surface items using the EC3 product or a similar product. The product works on contact, so you can use a pump sprayer to coat the problem item. Here is another tip; EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate can be used at regular strength in a carpet cleaning appliance. You will want to make sure that whatever you clean is completely dry before you return it to its place so you do not recreate a condition for new mold to grow.
Getting a used piece of furniture can make a wonderful addition to your home. However, if you are susceptible to mold allergies you need to be careful about the pieces you bring into your home. If you would like to learn more about how mold is a problem and what you can do to test for it and remediate it, please visit us at www.sinusitiswellness.com.